FOOTBAG WORLDWIDE : Forum :

footbag.org :: View topic - My Trip to Europe
footbag.org Forum Index footbag.org
The real footbag forum.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Trip to Europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    footbag.org Forum Index -> The European Scene
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy OWheel (owheelj)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: My Trip to Europe Reply with quote

Ok so I'm planning a trip to Europe for worlds in July. Here is my plan:

Arrive Warsaw - July 4 - Stay for footbag camp and Euros.
Warsaw - Minsk - July 14
Minsk - Tallinn - July 17
Tallin - Turku - July 19 or 20
Turku - Helsinki - July 23 - Worlds!!
July 31 - Go home

As you can see I plan on visiting Poland, Belarus, Estonia and Finland. I know there are footbaggers in all those countries except Belarus. I plan on doing most of the trip by train - I'll catch a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki and then a train onto Turku but the rest will be train I hope.

Does anybody know how much it will cost to catch a train from Belarus to Estonia? Also should I book the train tickets early? Or wait until I get to Poland? Is there a website with the details? I've spent some time looking but couldn't find very much about travelling to those countries.
Richard Vock (comastalker)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come to germany....berlin for example...
I'd pay the 100€ to berlin for shredding once with you
Ville Sokk (Commodore)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Estonia and I asked my father and used google but I couldn't find how much does it cost.
Paul Cronjaeger (Pauler)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berlin!
Jeremy OWheel (owheelj)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to go to Berlin but unfortuantly I can't take afford to take too long off work - maybe if I get sponsorship.

However obviously I'll be at Euros and at Worlds - so we can definitly kick there!! - Spend the 100 Euros on getting yourself to Poland and Helsinki - rather than paying for me to go to Berlin. I am very interested in the history of Eastern Europe - especially the former Soviet countries so I'm keen to see lots of the area - East Berlin would be cool to visit too - but it's a little out of the way from where I'm going.

Thanks for your help Ville - it seems like the way to go is wait until I'm in Poland and if things don't work out - catch a plane straight to Tallinn and miss Minsk. Sad
Paul Cronjaeger (Pauler)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jeremy. do you already know the exact dates of euros? also, what footbag camp were you talking about?
paul
Richard Vock (comastalker)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the money I talked about would be for me to get to berlin Smile
getting to poland is a 9-12 hour tour by train
Alexander Smirnov (chezl)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train from Belarus anywhere is not going to be expencive. compared to other countries everythuing is really cheap there.

Belarus has it's own footbag club too and I can forward you the contacts for them if you want.

Team Russia also plans to hold a tournament for American/European players between Euros and Worlds in Saint Pete, so everybody can come, play and see this fantastic city.
Hania Mickiewicz (Hania)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know the exact dates of euros yet but I think it's going to be two weeks before worlds... so after euros there should be one more week left to worlds. (but the dates are not fixed yet so it's not 100%sure)

Hey Jeremy, will be soo cool to meet you here in Poland Very Happy
Flavio Lötscher (footjam_heger)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice trip...
Max Kerkhoff (max.kerkhoff)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy - YOU MUST COME TO BERLIN - i am serious - take as much time off as necessary and come to the german footbag open in berlin in june. it is going to be one of the phattest events for sure. footbag life in europe isn't very expensive, so if you manage to get here you can stay here quite long... especially if you head east after berlin. i'd really like to have you here in berlin.

about other tournaments near worlds : PLEASE do something in st. petersburg AFTER worlds! for nearly all european players it will be better that way because coming from wroclaw it is quite out of the way, but once you are in helsinki it is really close,
i also heard that the estonian crew wants to do something in talinn before worlds ... so has there been any talking between you guys? i want to do both cities!

looking forward to next summer...
Jeremy OWheel (owheelj)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll see what I can do.

The reason I don't want to take the time off work is not about money though - it's because I've got a job coaching footbag (and other sports) at a school in Melbourne and to me that is getting pretty close to a dream job (I just don't get paid millions of $$) so I don't want to have too much time off that.

But I haven't booked any tickets yet so I'll give it some more thought.

Maybe something like this

Berlin - Warsaw - Minsk - Tallinn - Turku - Helsinki - St P - home.

Warsaw - Minsk - Tallinn means travelling through 5 countries and looks like it will cost less than Tallinn - Turku - Helsinki which is through two. Damn Finland for being so expensive - I think we should move worlds to Estonia Wink Razz
Alexander Smirnov (chezl)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re Saint Pete: we will be talking to both estonian guys? american players and EFC.

i see it as a fantastic chance to come and visit this beautiful city that is really close to Helsinki.

we are looking at taking all the players together and moving them to Saint Pete by bus

that all just needs time...
Uve Poom (arrow)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Action in Estonia around Worlds Reply with quote

Hey Jeremy and all the others,

Jeremy, I wrote you an e-mail with info about how you could get here. www.eurolines.com is the key address for you when you want to travelling around Eastern Europe - the train connections are not too good around here.

Anyhow, I will now start reveiling a plan that we have been thinking about in Estonia. It has to do with what Max said in an earlier post. So our sincerest intension is to hold a Post-Worlds Footbag Camp in Estonia and it promises to become an out-of-this-world event. Our plans are humangous (especially for younger European players) and we will be working hard to get some serious financing for this event during the following months. Anyhow, anybody planning to travel in Europe after Worlds should consider with up to 5 days in Estonia directly after Worlds. We´ve got a truly swell country with an ultimately cool capital named Tallinn that is more than worth a visit if you are around here. Historic, beautiful, A LOT cheaper then Finland (price range of Czech Republic), great beer, etc, etc, etc. But check out www.visitestonia.com and www.tallinn.info for further information. And just to give you another reason to come over.. as the champ Vasek himself said while visiting Estonia in October 2004: "Tallinn is nice... basically like the best of Prague." I´ll let you make your own conclusions from that Wink

Cheers and see everybody in Estonia in August!
Uve / Estonia
Jeremy OWheel (owheelj)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so big thanks to Uve!!

I have changed my plans a bit and decided not to visit Minsk Sad - but I think these plans will be better. Hopefully people can confirm all the dates of the camps and tournaments I am trying to get to soonish.

Arrive in Berlin - German Open - Late June?
Warsaw - Poland Footbag Camp and Euros - July 5 - July 14? Also I will be celebrating the 2005 New Year on July 7 to make up for missing celebrations this year in an effort to earn money for this trip!! (7s look like 1s Wink)
Tallinn - Brief stay and play with Estonians after Euros.
St Petersburg - Before or after worlds jam/tournament.
Turku - July 20 - 23 - Chill with Turku shredders and to touristy stuff.
Helsinki - July 23 - 30 - WORLDS!! Also my birthday is the 29th Very Happy
Tallinn - Estonian Footbag Camp - early August.

Go home.

I don't think I'd visit Tallinn twice if I could help it (nothing against the city - I will definitly visit - just want to see as much as I can) so knowing dates is important for me to plan the trip. If the St P jam is before worlds I will go from Warsaw to St P and if it's after - I would go from the Estonian footbag camp to St P. The second option sounds better because I think it is easier for me to get home from St P than from Tallinn.

Please let me know if this all sounds viable!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    footbag.org Forum Index -> The European Scene All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: