FOOTBAG WORLDWIDE : Forum :

footbag.org :: View topic - The coming summer in UK
footbag.org Forum Index footbag.org
The real footbag forum.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The coming summer in UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    footbag.org Forum Index -> The European Scene
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Whittle (FBDAN)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: The coming summer in UK Reply with quote

Id like to call out to all footbaggers in the UK and see if together we can organise some sort of big meeting between players, even if all can not make it.

It would be nice to finally host a big jam or competition in the UK for once, even though there isnt as big of a footbag scene here. For many of us in the UK we are unable to travel to other parts of Europe so maybe we should host something here in summer 2006?

Ideas and Comments greatly appreciated.
Alex Crowhurst (BinaryCrow)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be very good indeed!

Althouh I'm not very good at footbag at all, the footbag fever has hit me big time, and I would like to see an event happen where maybe it can also help promote the sport here in the UK. I think having an event in the summer would be great, and I would love to help out any way I can!!

Any ideas for a location?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel Whittle (FBDAN)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing interest and enthusiasm in my ideas.

I too am very much a beginner at the sport, i can hit toe delays clipper kicks and such but am still learning the 2 adds.

I am not sure on a location yet but i will not be able to travel very far as i am only 13, but im sure many others will have this very same problem.

If there was enoguh interest perhaps there could be a few events spread around the country, that way everyone will get a chance to take part, and the footbag seen will be spread all the way across the UK.

It would be great if we could get some advanced players to take part so they could ewncourage new players and give them advice.

We need to spread the sport as much as possible but in a friendly way.

Thanks,
Dan
Matt Christopher (resonance)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm all in favour of the idea, I think it would be very difficult to hunt down and organise the elusive players we have in this country. We'd also have to rely on appearances from the Euros to generate a sizeable meet, so the location would most probably have to be London.

I'm hoping that the spring/summer will draw in some new blood. We'll see how it goes!
Daniel Whittle (FBDAN)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your right, it probably woiuld be quite hard considering the amount of players in the UK.
Andrew Ronald (mongoose)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in! In fact lets get a real club together.

I am thinking that Finsbury Park would be an ideal location! Both for a tournament and also for a spring/summer gathering and playing place.

I am also hoping to get some gym time before the winter ends. I am keen to spread my net knowledge for sure but gym space is ideal for freestyle as well. Are there any interested Londoners who want to join me?

email me mongoose1441@hotmail.com or call me 07910940854 and lets start with a good time where we can all get together and have a preliminary club meeting.

Andy
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for forming a real club. I run a club in cambridge (I say club in the loosest term, as it consists of just fellow co-workers and we have no skill what so ever but just enjoy the fun of it) but I would like to be involved more seriously in the sport.

If we want to get something going, we should start planning pretty soon. It could be quite an effort to get people to attend a tournament!!!

Has anyone got experience of tournaments, like what happens and how they are run? I havn't been to one yet, but I would hope there would be some net action going on!!

I would also suggest Eastbourne as a good venue, plenty of sun, great town (in the summer) and it's on the coast! There are also "other" sports that are played there like Disc sports and so on, so I think footbag would get very good interest down there. I could probably also sort out a pretty good venue to hold the event. Although it still depends if we can get enough people interested, still as it is, London would be great to meet up and kick! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Ronald (mongoose) wrote:
I am thinking that Finsbury Park would be an ideal location! Both for a tournament and also for a spring/summer gathering and playing place.

Finsbury's a bit far out for me, I'm afraid. If we're looking forward to outdoor venues then I think it'd be best to stick to Hyde Park as both a convenient, central hook-up point and an ideal location to expose the sport to a wider audience.

Alex, Eastbourne in the summer sounds like a great idea! Brighton's supposed to have some footbaggers too, although my best efforts to get in touch with them have fallen short.
Daniel Whittle (FBDAN)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed at how fast the ideas have spread.

Unfortunately im not sure i will be able to make it down to london, id have to ask my mum and dad on that one.
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Christopher (resonance) wrote:

Alex, Eastbourne in the summer sounds like a great idea! Brighton's supposed to have some footbaggers too, although my best efforts to get in touch with them have fallen short.

Cheers Matt,

I'll keep you all updated if I can get anything running this summer, If not, then next summer will be a definate thing.

Anybody going to any european tournaments in the summer? I think I might go along to one of them just to see how things are done.
Daniel Whittle (FBDAN)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try make it to worlds at germany but I don't know if i can yet
Maxime Boucoiran (lord2)
IFPA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be popping into London every now and then (maybe once or twice every two months?) and am always up for a kick. i have kicked with Matt in Hyde Park and it is a nice venue. I can imagine that on a nice sunny day it would ROCK.

Btw, Matt, I have been back to London once or twice since we kicked but I did not call as I'm trying to heal from an anjury I'm dragging on. Maybe I'll be in London next week-end (3rd of March) if I am I'll give you a call.

great ideas getting organised, meeting each other and getting a kick. Keep it up, I think the UK SHOLD have a big footbag scene.

cheers,
Max

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the injury, Max. Definitely give me a call if you're around next weekend, Tamas & I were already thinking of kicking in Hyde Park.
Angus Smith (sharksrock)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyde park is good! TONS of people get venues there! Red Hot Chili Peppers and tons of funfairs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    footbag.org Forum Index -> The European Scene All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: